Aug 7, 2011

All You Need is One: Chapter One

Farah

           I was in 6th grade. It was around midterms… right before midterms to be exact. I was absent for a week. I didn’t have any friends at the time. I don’t think anyone noticed me in class. My grades were good only on exams. When I got back to school, a two girls Spoke to me Sienna and Razan. Actually it was mostly Sienna. Razan hanged around Sienna all the time so…
            It was something like that. “Hello Farah, I know we haven’t spoken before but… well these are the notes from the classes that you missed.” Sienna said as she handed me the notes. “We’re really glad you’re alright.” She smiled. Razan was just standing next to her.
            That day we happened to had music class. I loved classic music. I believe that it’s some genius language that no one can speak. Only instruments can play. My favorite pianist was Beethoven. That day the lesson was about Beethoven. I was good in piano playing.
The teacher asked us if anyone know, or would like to play moonlight. I participated. Sienna did too. I never noticed anyone in class. So, that’s the first I know that she’s into classic music. We both played the song without looking at the sheet. After class Sienna and Razan spoke with me again.
“Farah, your piano playing is amazing… For how long have you been playing?” Sienna said. “Thank you. I’ve been playing for 7 years now.” I said. “I’m a fan already! Keep up the good work.” She said.
A month has passed. Sienna approaches me every music class. She’s always nice to me, and she’s the only classmate that ever spoke with me. She had a great taste in music, and she was very talented. Speaking with her was always refreshing. We became friends soon after.
After meeting Sienna school seemed pretty cool though I get a reality check whenever I get home. It’s like being a star of a horror movie. My dad isn’t a bad guy… he just got anger issues. He also smokes and drinks.
“Where is my pack of cigarettes?!” Dad yells. He starts acting all crazy few seconds after. We are sitting in the next room studying. He comes in grab my little brother from his clothes, and throws him to the wall, and keeps yelling the same sentence. I try to defend my brother. He turns on me and beat me up harder. He yells the same sentence again.
He threw his pack of cigarettes in the trash, earlier that day. Yet, he won’t listen to what we have to say. I still believe that my father is a good man, though he’s forgetful and drunk sometimes. I also got punished that day for trying to defend my brother.
I never talked about my private life though. I don’t intend to either.

Razan

           We are in the 7th grade now, and we are still best friends, even though now we have a new Friend. Her name is Farah. We met her last year.
           
I like my daddy the best. We always play together and he takes me to fun places in the weekend. Daddy always takes me to school and ask me about my day. Daddy taught me a lot of things he taught me how to play catch, and he taught me how to drive a bicycle. I also love going to the kitchen with daddy he taught me how to cook. Daddy always buys me cute clothes and tells me how beautiful I am. I don’t like it when daddy has to work late and not pick me up from school. I also love mommy because whenever daddy see mommy daddy smiles. Mommy loves daddy a lot she always waits for him to come home and prepare him dinner. I love both my parents and daddy is my best friend.

            That was a paragraph I wrote for school. “What are you doing, princess?” Sienna asked me. “Am just looking at an old paragraph, we wrote for school.” I explained. She just sat there to observe me.
Back when we were in kinder garden we used to play this game. I was a lost princess and Sienna was the knight who saved me. She has been calling princess ever since, and in some way kept acting like my knight.
“Would you come to my house today?” I suggested. Sienna nodded. After school, my father came to pick me up. I ran up to him and hugged him. “How is my little princess doing?” Father asked as he pets me. “I’m doing great daddy.” I replayed. “I miss you, Dad.” I said. He just came back from a business trip.
After Lunch around 4 pm Sienna came to my house. I was setting with my mother and father in the living room. “Since Sienna is here I’ll bring you my souvenir.” Father said. “Dad is the best.” I commented. My father considered Sienna his Second daughter.
When he opened his bag, he had both gifts for me and her. He gave us both our gifts. “Thanks Uncle Mubarak.” Sienna said. Father also had a special gift for mother. He is always considerate.
Sienna and I went to my room. She helped me with my homework and then played some games together.

Two months have passed…

It’s around the end of the semester. I was waiting for my dad after school. He didn’t show up. Sienna was waiting with me. “I’ll take you home… call your dad from the house and tell him that your home.” Sienna said. “But…” I began to say. “No buts, we are leaving.” Sienna interrupted me and held my hand. We went to my house, rang the bell a couple of times. No one answered no one was home.
Sienna waited for me outside. I went inside from the back door, though the house door was locked. I got worried. I went back to Sienna. “The house is locked.” I said. “Let’s go to my place then and call your mom and dad from there.” Sienna suggested. I nodded.
When we got there I tried calling dad first. I called him five times but he didn’t pick up. So I called mom, she answered the second time. “Hello, Mom where are you?” I asked. “I’m at the hospital. I’ll stay there over night… you stay at Sienna’s alright?” Mother said. “What about dad where is he?” I asked. “He’s with me… don’t worry we’ll come back home tomorrow.” Mother said.
“Wait why isn’t dad answering his cell?” I asked. “He forgot it at home… I have to go now. Take care.” She said and hangs up. “What’s the matter?” Sienna asked. “They are at the hospital, they’re staying overnight… she asked me to stay at your place tonight.” I explained. “Don’t worry, I’m here.” She said and held me. I was very worried though when I’m around her… everything seems alright.
I’ve slept at Sienna’s that night. She sang me a lullaby till I fell asleep. Around 6 am my phone rang. “Hello.” I answered. “Razan come to the hospital now.” My mom said. She sounded in pain. Sienna was awake. “I need to go to the hospital now.” I demanded. Sienna ran to her brother’s room. “Jassem wake up.” Sienna tried to wake him up. “Sienna leave my room!” Jassem said. “Sienna what’s the matter?” Tariq asked.
Sienna left Jassem’s room and pulled Tariq hand’s toward her room. “We need to go the hospital.” Sienna said and went on… “Would you take us?” she requested. “Sure.” Tariq agreed. Tariq wasn’t the kind of guy to ask a lot of questions.
When we got to the hospital, Sienna was beside me and Tariq behind us. My mom was waiting in the waiting room. She looked as if she was in pain. “Razan your dad is waiting for you in the room.” She said. Her voice sounded hurt. I went in not sure what to expect.
I saw my dad lying in bed. He had a lot of bruises. He raised his hand. “Come here my little princess.” He said. My eyes unwillingly tear up. I went closer to him. He pets me. “I’m sorry, I couldn’t pick you up from school.” He said. My tears were falling from my eyes. He put his hand on my cheek and wiped away my tears. “Little one, I need you to be strong for your mother… and take care of her… always keep your friend Sienna by your side… She’s like a sister to you.” He grinned. I cried harder. “Don’t cry… my little one… papa wants to see… your smiling face… always.” He said. I forced a smile on my face. I couldn’t look him in the eye though.
Suddenly a lot of doctors entered the room and forced me out. “Wait… Dad…” I shouted, but I was out of the room by then. Sienna had a blank look on her face. She wrapped her arms around me. Without a word I cried my heart out. She did say a word she kept me in her lap the whole day. She didn’t shed a tear, though I believe her heart was crying.

I slept in my mom’s bedroom that day. The whole 3 days of the funeral Sienna was by my side, she never left me once. Farah came by with her mom the 3 days, and Sienna’s mom also visited us and stayed by mom’s side. “I don’t know what I would’ve done without Sienna. Thank you for making her stay.” My mom said. Aunt Hadeel nodded.
Aunt Hadeel was leaving, “Mom, would you tell my father that I’ll spend the night here.” Sienna said. As soon as I heard the word father, I felt light headed. “Father…” I chocked the word. Everything went black then…

I don’t know for how long I was out. When I opened my eyes I saw Sienna’s face. “Thank god you’re here.” I said, and held Sienna and kissed her cheek. Sienna’s face turned red. I turned my face and both our moms were sitting by my bed. My face flashed red. “Are you feeling better Razan?” Aunt Hadeel asked. I nodded.
“I’m glad you’re alright. Do you need anything Fatima?” Aunt Hadeel asked. “No thank you.” My mom answered. “I’ll be leaving then.” She excused herself. “Razz tell me the truth… did you eat anything since the morning?” Sienna asked. I shook my head. She sighed then carried me to the kitchen and sat me on the counter.
She started making me dinner. Tariq knocked the door. “Sienna aren’t you coming home?” he asked from outside the door. Sienna placed me dinner and opened the door for him. My mom was in her room.
“No I’m staying with Razan tonight.” Sienna said. “Sie, I’m hungry… who’s going to make me food.” He complained. “Sie is mine today, go look for food elsewhere.” I said. Sienna nodded. “Would you at least give your big brother a kiss Sie?” he said.
“Razz what do you say?” Sienna asked. I loved playing princess. “No give me a kiss instead.” I said. She kissed my cheek. “You shall leave, Sir second knight.” I said. “Yes my lady.” Tariq said as he left the house.
“You shouldn’t play with your food princess.” Sienna commented. She took the fork from my hand and started feeding me. I only ate because the fork was in her hand. I’m great full to have her in my life. She’s like a true knight. 

Sienna

            Today was … felt like an endless nightmare. Uncle Mubarak passed away. Razan is broken in my arms. My heart was crying though my eyes won’t shed any tears. I had to be strong for Razan I reminded myself. I’m thankful that Tariq was with us. If it wasn’t for him, I would’ve broken along her. It broke my heart to pieces hearing her cry. My brain won’t function any word that might comfort her. I felt helpless. All I could do was hold her… that was my way of saying I’m still here.
            We dropped Razan and her mom home. When we got home I went straight to my room. I lay on bed and cried my heart out. I couldn’t hold it in any longer. Tariq knocked the door then entered my room. He sat on my bed, and then held me tight. It was like he’s saying: I’m right here. He stayed there until my tears dried out.
            The whole 3 days of the funeral I stayed at Razan’s house. I didn’t want to leave her side… and I didn’t know how else to comfort her. I acted as my usual self. Though I couldn’t bear to see her broke. She was so fragile. I’ve only realized that that day.
            “Mom, would you tell my father that I’ll spend the night here.” I said as my mom was leaving Razan’s house. “Father…” Razan chocked the word. She fainted that instant. I couldn’t feel my legs. ‘Do something’ a voice screamed in my head. I lifted Razan and Ran to her room. “Bring me cold water.” I shouted. My voice was trampling. Aunt Fatima brought me cold water and my mom brought me towels. I medicated her.
She came back a short while after. “Thank god you’re here.” Razan said, and she held me and kissed my cheek. My face turned red. When she saw our moms her face flashed red as well. “Are you feeling better Razan?” Mom asked. Razan nodded.
Razan’s mood only lit up when Tariq came around. I loved to see her smile. That night when we were in bed “Sie, Mubarak asked me to keep you close to me. He told me that you’re my sister.” Razan said. She couldn’t bear to call him father. “I’m Razz’s knight.” I said as I brushed her hair. “Thank you.” She said. I stayed quite the whole night.
The next day when I was back home. I logged online. I entered a random chat room. I never did something like that before. I needed to share my feeling with a stranger… I logged in with a line from a From Autumn to Ashes song ‘I felt you slip away far away from me’ I was online for 2 hours didn’t chat with anyone.
Suddenly a private chat opened.
Patrick: Seems like you’re a Fan of From Autumn to Ashes
             I felt you slip away far away from me farther from me: Finally some one that knows the band =]
             Patrick: not just know them, a huge fan right here ;-)
             I felt you slip away far away from me farther from me: Amazing =], I'm Sienna btw.
            Patrick: Pleased to meet you =], I'm Waleed.

We chatted for 3 hours. He understood me musically. He was about to leave when we traded emails. The next day he logged online around the same time. He sent me an audio file. He was a singer. His voice was amazing. He was forming a band with his friend Dustin.
            “Hey what are you doing?” Tariq asked. “Chatting.” I answered. “Who are you chatting with?” he asked. “I’m chatting with Waleed.” I answered. “Waleed?” he raised his eye brow. “Yah he is a singer.” I explained. “Listen.” I played the audio file he sent me the other day. “He got good vocals.” Tariq commented.
“He’s looking for a guitarist and a bassist.” I said. “Don’t tell me you want to join his band?” he said. “No, I’m not… I think he got potentials though.” I said. Tariq plays the guitar. It would be awkward to ask him to join Waleed’s band though. Besides Tariq is forming his own band. He’s only looking for a drummer.

3 years have passed since then…

Waleed formed a band called blue vows. They play alternative rock. They have also got pretty popular. Tariq Formed a death metal band called Burning Corps. I wanted to play in a band as well. I wanted to live the dream.

Waleed

            I was composing a song when my phone rang. “Hello” I said. “Hey Pete I met a bassist the other day, he is pretty talented.” Dustin said. “When do I get to meet him?” I Wondered. “I set up a meeting with him on Friday during our practice session.” He said. “Okay cool” I commented.
            We met up with the bassist his name was Ron. He was pretty skilled. When he auditioned he played a funk solo, and then played So Cold by Breaking Benjamin. “You’re totally in, Ron.” I comment as Ron finished his song. We chatted about music for a while,
            Dustin was sitting on Drums the whole time we were talking. He was coming up with a beat! Ron’s bass was still on his lap. He started hitting the strings along the beat. I took my guitar and played along.
            We really enjoyed practice together. We needed another guitarist though. I spoke with both Ron and Dustin about it. They looked for a guitarist. After two week they came to me with a guitarist. His name was Steven and he was ready to audition. He played some pretty amazing solos. I was very impressed.
            We practiced with him for two weeks and we were settled then. We only needed a band name. I called Sienna to fill her in about all the updates. “Hello.” I said. “Hey what’s up man?” Sienna answered. “I have some amazing news.” I told her. “Really? You want me to join the band?” She said excited. “Umm… Pretty close, but no!” I said. “Bummer, what is it then?” she said. “Steve is officially a band member.” I said. “Great news!” She said.
            “What will you name the band?” she asked. “Hmm… we have no idea yet.” I said and went on. “The name ‘Blue Vows’ was suggested though.” “Oh! That sound pretty cool actually.” She said. After hearing she says that I wanted to stick with the name so bad.
“Have you heard about my brother Tariq’s band? They are called Burning corps.” She said. “Not really…” I answered. “You have to check them out man. They play death metal and they just released they first single yesterday.” She said. I got another call from Dustin. “Alright I’ll. I have another call now.” I said. “Alright. See you.” She said as she hanged up.
I answered Dustin. “Hello.” He said. “Hi.” I answered. “Pete… we love the name Blue Vows right?” He said. “I was thinking the exact same thing. We dig the name.” I was talking my way through. “Then it’s settled, let’s tell the guys next time we meet.” He said. “Alright.” I answered as we hanged up.
A year has based. We’ve gotten pretty famous. We did interviews in magazines. We played live shows. We won battle of the bands. We were featured with Burning Corps in one of the shows as well. Those guys had amazing fans.
Yet all I was thinking about is how to impress her. Fame didn’t matter, at the time at least. I did speak with her about making a duet together she didn’t object. I’ve also confronted her with my feeling. Yet she doesn’t seem to understand what I’m talking about… I stopped trying to tell her about my feeling. I’ve turned them into songs.
I hope my feelings reach her one day. I spoke with Ron about it, and he thinks that it might not be love. Maybe she understood me better than myself. If what Ron was saying is true what’s that feeling that I’m having…

Aseel

            I can't believe how fast they separated; yesterday we had breakfast together and today… I wake up in another house without them.
            I'm not sad because they are separated, I'm sad because they left both of us; I mean Tariq is just a kid he is so young and incent, why does he have to suffer along?
            "Are you awake, Aseel?" Grandma called, "Yah, I'm awake." I answered, "Is Tariq awake as well?" she asked, "Yah, he is taking a shower." I told her, "Well breakfast is ready, and I'm waiting for you so hurry up." She said, "Sure." I told her.
            Tariq came out of the shower "Grandma is waiting for us breakfast's ready." I forced a smiled, "Okay." He said, and went out the door.
            I took a shower changed my clothes and went to join them in the dinning room, grandma made us pancakes, scrambled eggs and sausage with fresh orange juice.
 Tariq was feeling so down and he didn’t want to eat food he was just satting there, "What's wrong dear? You didn’t touch your plate." I asked and brushed his hair, "They aren't coming back, are they?" He asked, "We don’t know that yet, don’t worry about that now, just eat your meal alright." I answered.
            After breakfast I went to get ready for school then helped Tariq get dressed. “I’m off to school, Granny.” I said as I was leaving the house. Tariq said the same thing, as we went to school.
Tariq is 7 years old. We are in the same privet school. It’s calming, this way I can still look after him in school. As soon as we entered the school he went to play with his friends and I headed to class.
            In this year’s class a new girl transfer student joined my class. She’s a year older than me; this girl has a unique style. It’s like she lives in her own world. I always wanted to speak to her, but never knew what to say. So, today when I got to class she was sitting there alone. It was just the two of us. So I started “Go… good morning, am Aseel.” I said. She stood up and laughed “I thought for a second there that you wanted me to leave.” She said then continued “I’m Sarah, pleased to officially meet you.” She shook hands with me. That was the first time we spoke.
            She kept smiling at me the whole time. During lunch break, she came up to me, “Want to have lunch together?!” she asked. I wanted to say yes pretty bad, “I…I have to leave.” I said as I left class. I went to check on Tariq.
He was sitting on a small table and was opening his lunchbox. I went up to him and sat on my knees at the other side of the table. “How were your classes today?!” I asked him as I patted his head. With a wide smile, he started telling me everything that happened in his classes. I just sat there and listen silently.
When he was done he pointed that there was a girl around my age looking at us. “I’ll go back to classes now you play with your friends alright.” I told him and saw him off then turned. Sarah was standing there her back to the wall. She looked at me and smiled “was that your boyfriend?!” She asked sarcastically. “That’s my little brother.” I answered. She walked by my side heading to class, then she asked “Can we have lunch together now?!” I nodded.
She fastened her steps base as she took the lead. She took me to the school backyard. There was one tree there, she sat under that tree and asked of me to join. She opened her lunch box and started sharing food.”I’m so glad you agreed to join me” she said. I felt awkward but didn’t say anything. After lunch we headed for class “I really appreciate you having lunch with me today, thank you.” She said. “No, thank you for the food.” I said.
The day went on normally. After school I stayed back at school because I was in the music club. We had practice the day, when I went to the music room I heard a sound of a guitar. A beautiful melody was played. We didn’t have a guitarist in the club though I wondered who that might have been. The music’s room door was half opened. I’ve caught sight of Sarah. She was holding that guitar. Then I met her gaze she was still playing this melody, her expiration changed when she saw me. She almost smiled. Her music touched my heart that moment.
I entered the music room and sat on the drums. After she was done playing she turned and smiled at me. The club leader told me that she’ll join us.
The most awkward part was that she didn’t take eyes off of me. After we finished practice she come up to me and asked “Can we practice again sometime, just the two of us?!” She asked. I nodded. “Thank you.” She said as she kissed my cheek. I froze in my place. She turned around then faced me again “Oh!” She said. She grabbed my left hand and took a pen from her pocket she wrote down a number “That’s my number.” She said and softly blew the ink. She turned and walked away “I’ll be waiting … see you.” She blew me a kiss and waved.
When I got back home Tariq was waiting for me, “Aseel, you’re late… let’s play.” He said. “I’m sorry; I’ll go change then play with you…” I patted him, “…Where is granny?” “She’s in the kitchen.” He told me. I went to great my grandma then went to change my clothes and joined Tariq he was playing Play Station 3. A while later Grandma called us for dinner. I went straight to my room after dinner. I lay in bed. My mobile in my right hand, I gazed my left hand. My right hand is unconsciously typing her number. When I realized it, it was already dialing.
I was about to hit end call, when I heard her voice. “Hello, Who is this?!” she said. I couldn’t speak my throat was very dry. My heart was beating so fast, I was about to end call again. “Aseel, is that you?” She said. My heart skipped a beat when she said my name. “Uhm…” that was the only noise I managed to make. “Thank goodness, you scared me for a minute there,” she continued, “I’m really glad you called… I was actually waiting for you.” And she kept talking about school and all. I was just listening didn’t say a word. I think I’ve just longed to hear her voice that day.

I couldn’t sleep that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment